Subject: Re: bug#4789: use bootstrap-emacs to build emacs/leim directory, load emacs/leim/leim-list.el to loadup.el

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 20:09:51 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:34:10 -0400
> 
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > But you need to do this again whenever Emacs is rebuilt, not just at
> > bootstrap time.  Right?  Are you relying on the fact that on Posix
> > hosts bootstrap-emacs and emacs are (currently) the same executable,
> > and that bootstrap-emacs is generated even when no bootstrap is
> > necessary, like when building a released tarball?
> 
> Indeed I need to think about this more... My initial thought is that it
> should be treated like loaddefs.el (and finder-inf.el, cus-load.el,
> etc). All these are pre-built in the release tarfile, so maybe
> leim-list.el should be too. Now that I think about it, it's suprising
> that it isn't already.

Well, that goes hand in hand with the fact that the *.el files under
leim/ are not byte-compiled in the tarball.  Basically, a remnant from
ye-old days when Leim was a separate package.  I think we should
compile all the *.el files under leim/ as well, but Stefan once told
me something that I interpreted to mean he would rather go in the
opposite direction -- let the build process compile all the *.el files
under lisp/ and ship them uncompiled in the tarball.  Maybe I
misunderstood.

> > So you just need _any_ emacs executable capable of code that generates
> > leim-list.el, is that right?
> 
> Right. But when bootstrapping on MS Windows, there must still be two
> versions of the emacs binary, right? One that is called early on and
> loads uncompiled Lisp files (whether or not it is called
> "bootstrap-emacs"), and is used to generate the compiled Lisp files that
> are loaded by the final, "proper" Emacs?

Yes.

> If so, I mean the first one.

Yes, that part is clear.