Subject: Re: bug#4789: use bootstrap-emacs to build emacs/leim directory, load emacs/leim/leim-list.el to loadup.el

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:34:10 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> But you need to do this again whenever Emacs is rebuilt, not just at
> bootstrap time.  Right?  Are you relying on the fact that on Posix
> hosts bootstrap-emacs and emacs are (currently) the same executable,
> and that bootstrap-emacs is generated even when no bootstrap is
> necessary, like when building a released tarball?

Indeed I need to think about this more... My initial thought is that it
should be treated like loaddefs.el (and finder-inf.el, cus-load.el,
etc). All these are pre-built in the release tarfile, so maybe
leim-list.el should be too. Now that I think about it, it's suprising
that it isn't already.

> So you just need _any_ emacs executable capable of code that generates
> leim-list.el, is that right?

Right. But when bootstrapping on MS Windows, there must still be two
versions of the emacs binary, right? One that is called early on and
loads uncompiled Lisp files (whether or not it is called
"bootstrap-emacs"), and is used to generate the compiled Lisp files that
are loaded by the final, "proper" Emacs? If so, I mean the first one.