Subject: bug#47889: [installer image] grub-install efi fails getting canonical path to /boot/efi on dos-formatted disk

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 16:38:52 +0200

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 03:28:39PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> There’s no EFI (vfat) partition here.  Is it an EFI machine?
> 
> Is /boot/efi mounted when you boot the installation image?

No because there is no EFI partition.  If I create one and restart the
installer, then it is *not* mounted either, only /mnt/boot/efi later
during the install.  (I believe since the installer is installed as on
an external medium, it does not need an EFI partition.)

I had booted the install image via UEFI boot and had expected auto
partitioning and the default configuration to do the right thing.

> If it were EFI, it would be a GPT partition table, not a DOS one.

Thank you for explaining.  If Guix defaults require GPT on EFI
(according to
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFI_system_partition#Create_the_partition>)
some computers apparently really do not support dos partition tables
for the EFI system partition), then I think
gnu/installer/newt/partition.scm should disallow selecting a DOS
scheme when auto partitioning the entire disk.

Regards,
Florian