Subject: bug#47881: 28.0.50; `ediff-merge-files' copies diff hunks into clipboard

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 22:13:54 +0200

Create two similar text files that, when merging, will create a merge
conflict, such as:

$ cat /tmp/aa.txt
a
b
c
d
$ cat /tmp/bb.txt
a
x
c
d

Clear the clipboard:

$ xsel -b -c

Now run `ediff-merge-files':

$ emacs -Q -l ediff -eval '(ediff-merge-files "/tmp/aa.txt" "/tmp/bb.txt")'

No need to do anything else.  Now, one of the hunks has been copied to
the system clipboard:

$ xsel -b -o
b

This shouldn't happen; the clipboard should only be modified if the user
requests it.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 81, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-04-18
Repository revision: 652b0f4c7453e6d440fec767336ca85aec13e33d
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux rodete

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only
 --enable-gtk-deprecation-warnings --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --enable-checking=all --enable-check-lisp-object-type --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -ggdb3''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs time-date
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils phst skeleton derived edmacro kmacro pcase ffap thingatpt url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars mailcap rx
gnutls puny dbus xml subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
compile text-property-search comint ansi-color ring cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 68417 8436)
 (symbols 48 8316 1)
 (strings 32 24272 1892)
 (string-bytes 1 785968)
 (vectors 16 14970)
 (vector-slots 8 194986 4588)
 (floats 8 27 31)
 (intervals 56 224 0)
 (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Falls Sie diese fälschlicherweise erhalten haben
sollten, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht an jemand anderes weiter, löschen Sie
alle Kopien und Anhänge davon und lassen Sie mich bitte wissen, dass die E-Mail
an die falsche Person gesendet wurde.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you received this communication by mistake,
please don’t forward it to anyone else, please erase all copies and
attachments, and please let me know that it has gone to the wrong person.