Subject: bug#47879: [PATCH] Ignore mode hooks when analysing diffs

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 22:18:29 +0200

Am So., 18. Apr. 2021 um 21:09 Uhr schrieb Philip Kaludercic
<[email-masked]>:
>
>
> This fixes a bug related to log-edit-generate-changelog-from-diff.
>
> When I tried to invoke this command in a commit buffer, the error
>
>      signal: Unmatched bracket or quote
>
> was raised. The reason was that I added paredit-mode to
> emacs-lisp-mode-hook, that when invoked calls check-parens. This raises
> an error when the diff contains a partial s-expression, which is almost
> always the case.

I have the following in my emacs-lisp-mode-hook:
   (with-demoted-errors "Error enabling Paredit: %s" (paredit-mode))
Enabling Paredit unconditionally is too invasive; it will also break
file visiting if the file has a syntax error.
Alternatively, bind paredit-override-check-parens-function to e.g.
(lambda (_) t).