Subject: bug#4787: 23.1; in Customize, after showing Lisp expression, how to see normal?

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:00:30 -0700

emacs -Q
M-x customize-face default
In Customize, click State > Show Lisp Expression.
 
It now seems to be impossible to get back the normal display, i.e., to
not see the Lisp expression anymore.
 
In fact, the 3 menu items For Current Display, For All Displays, and
Show Lisp Expression are 3 _alternatives_. They should be radio-button
menu items, not just normal menu items.
 
And the item names should be parallel. There is no understandable
relation between "For Current Display", for instance, and "Show Lisp
Expression". Those don't seem to have anything to do with each
other. There is no way to guess that these are alternatives.
 
I even started to write this bug saying that there was no way to get
back the normal display. Fiddling and trying things, I eventually
discovered that For Current Display did the job. This is NOT AT ALL
obvious - horrible UI.
 
This is a regression wrt Emacs 21 (and 20), where the menu items were
clear.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'