Subject: bug#47922: closed (Re: bug#47868: 28.0.50; [native-comp] vertico package doesn't work when loading the corresponding eln file)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 07:48:02 +0000

Your bug report

#47868: 27.2; [feature/native-comp]; "str" collapses with #("str" props...)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47868: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47868
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47868: 28.0.50; [native-comp] vertico package doesn't work when loading the corresponding eln file
From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
To: Doug Davis <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 07:47:20 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Doug Davis <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andrea Corallo via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
> text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> On 4/21/21 10:31 AM, Andrea Corallo wrote:
>>>> Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> Is it uncommon to use propertized string literals, since these were
>>>>> the ones which introduced the issue here? (No coincidence that two
>>>>> packages of mine were affected by this)
>>>> Yes it is uncommon but still this is a native compiler bug as the
>>>> byte
>>>> compiler hash cons string correctly.
>>>
>>> No doubt it is is a bug. I was just wondering that two of my recent
>>> packages triggered a bug given that many people already happily use
>>> native. Thank you for fixing this and for all the efforts with native
>>> compilation. I am looking very much forward to using it.
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>
>> Yes, indeed your packages did a very good work at unveiling this bug :)
>>
>> As of f842816125 it should work (haven't tried again with vertigo tho),
>> some testing appreciated as usual.
>
> I just recompiled my local native-comp branch and vertico is behaving as
> it does with my package-manager-provided Emacs 27.2 installation. thanks
> Daniel and Andrea :)

Very nice thanks you for testing :)

Closing this then, happy to reopen if necessary.

Thanks

  Andrea

Subject: 27.2; [feature/native-comp]; "str" collapses with #("str" props...)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 23:03:39 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

test.el:

    ;; -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-
    (defun test-1 ()
      #(" " 0 1 (face font-lock-keyword-face)))
    (defun test-2 ()
      " ")

compile with (native-compile-async "test.el" nil t)

(test-2) will return the propertized string string.

Best.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.28, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-04-20 built on miha-pc
Repository revision: b5c76530fab4b99e76249bfb9a105b30bef4ce67
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation --prefix=/usr'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  selectrum-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils pulse color xref project bug-reference
compile comint ansi-color eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe pcase ffap
url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs password-cache
json map url-vars thingatpt selectrum consult misearch multi-isearch
shortdoc cl-print debug backtrace find-func loadhist dabbrev novice
help-fns radix-tree descr-text comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra
help-mode time-date vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher
consult-selectrum cl-seq cl-macs subr-x minibuf-eldef crm ring recentf
tree-widget wid-edit kmacro imenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib bookmark seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv text-property-search pp
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 178229 38428)
 (symbols 48 24527 1)
 (strings 32 103438 8379)
 (string-bytes 1 2760664)
 (vectors 16 28388)
 (vector-slots 8 819817 193450)
 (floats 8 269 259)
 (intervals 56 2937 65)
 (buffers 992 22))