Subject: bug#47868: 28.0.50; [native-comp] vertico package doesn't work when loading the corresponding eln file

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 12:11:00 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 10:05:21 +0200
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> 
>> Is it uncommon to use propertized string literals
>
> Not sure if it's common, but IMNSHO it's somewhat ugly and hard to
> read (and easy to make mistakes).  So my recommendation is not to use
> that; use propertize instead.

In the concrete example at hand, which is "add properties to a specific
substring of the string", I think it is not more ugly and hard to read
than having to split the string and propertize the individual parts and
then concatenate it back again.

Well, maybe it's on par here but I cannot even imagine how to use
`propertize' to create a string where properties overlap without jumping
through hoops.

Hm, when I do

  #("foo" 0 3 (bar t) 1 2 (foo 1))

I get

  #("foo" 0 1 (bar t) 1 2 (foo 1) 2 3 (bar t))

which I did not expect.  I'd rather expect

  #("foo" 0 1 (bar t) 1 2 (foo 1 bar t) 2 3 (bar t))

so it seems like the propertized string literals also have some
gotchas...

Bye,
Tassilo