Subject: bug#47868: 28.0.50; [native-comp] vertico package doesn't work when loading the corresponding eln file

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 13:16:29 +0200

The GNU ELPA package vertico shows possible completion candidates in an
overlay during minibuffer completion.  I've just noticed that this
doesn't work properly when the generated eln file is loaded rather than
the el or elc file.

By "not working properly" I mean that frequently either the minibuffer
prompt is displayed or the overlay showing the candidates but not both.
Sometimes also both, but then the cursor is blinking at the end of the
candidates overlay rather than immediately behind the input.  Also the
candidate count overlay seems to be only shown if the prompt is also
there but not the canditates overlay.  Here's a screenshot:

Here's a reproduction recipe:

  0. Build the current native-comp branch, HEAD is
     af0af63742fd2383dae5627d0ce8167517fd4700 right now.
     Install the vertico GNU ELPA package and wait for its async
     native compilation to be finished.
  1. emacs -Q
  2. Load the ELN file (which is the only one I have, so I'm sure it's
     the right one for my current emacs):
     M-x load-file RET
     ~/.emacs.d/eln-cache/28.0.50-bc702aed/vertico-6eb6690f-90eaf131.eln
     RET
  3. M-x vertico-mode RET
  4. Try C-x C-b or C-x C-f to see the problem.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 47, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.28, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-04-18 built on thinkpad-t440p
Repository revision: 5819f4fb0a9337fab4c32dac557a02ec6497bce5
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101001
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-nativecomp'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE
XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e:main

Minor modes in effect:
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  company-posframe-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  aggressive-completion-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-binary

Load-path shadows:
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-main hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-main
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-org hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-org
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-lists hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-lists
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-actions hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-actions
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-utils hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-utils
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-context hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-context
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-draft hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-draft
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-message hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-message
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-compose hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-compose
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-common hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view-common
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-old hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view-old
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-gnus hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view-gnus
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-headers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-headers
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mark hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mark
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contrib hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contrib
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-proc hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-proc
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-meta hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-meta
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-vars hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-vars

Features:
(shadow face-remap emacsbug company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags etags fileloop generator xref project company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-clang
company-capf company-cmake company-semantic company-template
company-bbdb paredit vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs
vc-rcs display-fill-column-indicator auto-package-update finder-inf
generic yaml-mode fish-mode cargo cargo-process compile rust-mode
web-mode disp-table preview-latex auto-loads tex-site deadgrep spinner s
hl-todo aggressive-indent rainbow-mode vc-git vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher epa-file dired-x mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-main mu4e-view
mu4e-view-gnus mu4e-view-common mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-context
mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 mu4e-mark mu4e-proc mu4e-utils
doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif mu4e-lists mu4e-message flow-fill org
ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs mule-util hl-line mu4e-vars mu4e-meta smtpmail-multi
smtpmail sendmail ecomplete completion auto-dictionary flyspell ispell
tramp-smb which-key highlight-parentheses company-restclient
know-your-http-well http-status-codes http-relations http-methods
http-headers restclient company-posframe posframe company pcase
yasnippet forge-list forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck
forge-gogs gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github
ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub let-alist gnutls forge-notify
forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic forge-post
markdown-mode color thingatpt noutline outline forge-repo forge
forge-core forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite advice emacsql
emacsql-compiler magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit
log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert
filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor server
magit-mode transient magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm dash
visual-filename-abbrev debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw nsm
warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp bug-reference
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode vertico aggressive-completion
icomplete mb-depth use-package-diminish windmove elec-pair rx
tramp-cache tramp-sh recentf tree-widget pixel-scroll cap-words
superword subword saveplace savehist paren smiley gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus wid-edit nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils edmacro kmacro dracula-theme diminish cl-extra
help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec info
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 518704 83112)
 (symbols 48 42109 5)
 (strings 32 190891 6393)
 (string-bytes 1 5742383)
 (vectors 16 73612)
 (vector-slots 8 872832 27435)
 (floats 8 516 131)
 (intervals 56 763 27)
 (buffers 992 12))