Subject: Re: [bug#47852] [PATCH] gnu: Add sc-im

From: Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 18:40:43 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 18 2021, jgart wrote:

> I appreciate your review. I attached an updated patch with your
> suggestions. Thank you for pointing those out.

You are welcome!

> I moved home-page closer to the top so that I can reuse it in the url
> field.

Good idea.

>> I suggest adding it to (gnu packages terminals) instead of creating a
>> new file. You will find asciinema and fzf there.
>
> I'm not sure if it makes sense to me for sc-im to go into terminals.
>
> It seems like terminals has mostly terminal emulators.
>
> Like I pointed out in my previous email, why wouldn't calcurse and
> visidata also go into the terminals module?

I don’t know why those two programs are in their own files, but after
taking a closer look, I found that some programs are put in different
modules based on the program’s purpose.  For example, bashtop, htop, and
nnn all go in (gnu packages admin), and neomutt/mutt are put in (gnu
packages mail).  By that logic maybe it would make sense to put sc-im in
(gnu packages maths) or (gnu packages statistics)?

> sc-im is a spreadsheet program for the terminal in the same way that
> calcurse is a calendar program for the terminal.

In the same way that asciinema is a screen recorder for the terminal ;)

> Maybe we can do a clean up soon and put all these programs in a new
> module?

That would probably be a good idea.  The way packages are categorized is
still a little confusing to me. :)