Subject: bug#47848: closed (Re: bug#47848: aclocal fails with "error: too many loops")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 17:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#47848: aclocal fails with "error: too many loops"

which was filed against the automake package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47848: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47848
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47848: aclocal fails with "error: too many loops"
From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 11:30:02 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

    more recently, it started working again ...

Not sure if that's good or bad, but at least you can get on with life :).
Thanks for checking back.

    this can be closed...

Closing. --thanks, karl.

Subject: aclocal fails with "error: too many loops"
From: Eric Gallager <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 15:10:41 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi, I have recently been trying to update my fork of the
magicseteditor project, which can be found here:
https://github.com/cooljeanius/magicseteditor
At first, autoconf told me:
configure.ac:109: warning: AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_0X is obsolete; use
AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11 instead
...so I followed its recommendation and updated
AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_0X to AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11, and
AX_CXX_HEADER_STDCXX_0X to AX_CXX_HEADER_STDCXX_11, and once I had
done that, it failed with this message instead:
$ autoreconf -fvi -Wall
autoreconf: export WARNINGS=all
autoreconf: Entering directory '.'
autoreconf: running: autopoint --force
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I m4 --install
aclocal: installing 'm4/ax_cxx_compile_stdcxx.m4' from
'/opt/local/share/aclocal/ax_cxx_compile_stdcxx.m4'
aclocal: installing 'm4/ax_cxx_compile_stdcxx_11.m4' from
'/opt/local/share/aclocal/ax_cxx_compile_stdcxx_11.m4'
aclocal: installing 'm4/ax_require_defined.m4' from
'/opt/local/share/aclocal/ax_require_defined.m4'
aclocal: error: too many loops
aclocal: Please contact <[email-masked]>.
 at /opt/local/share/automake-1.16/Automake/Channels.pm line 655.
    Automake::Channels::msg("automake", "", "too many loops") called
at /opt/local/share/automake-1.16/Automake/ChannelDefs.pm line 226
    Automake::ChannelDefs::prog_error("too many loops") called at
/opt/local/bin/aclocal line 1187
autoreconf: error: aclocal failed with exit status: 255
$

Since it said to report this here, that is what I am doing. I am using
automake 1.16.3 as installed by MacPorts. Any idea what's going on?
Thanks,
Eric Gallager