Subject: bug#47841: closed (Re: bug#47841: 'tarball' jobs on ci.guix.gnu.org install the wrong profile)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 12:18:02 +0000

Your bug report

#47841: 'tarball' jobs on ci.guix.gnu.org install the wrong profile

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47841: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47841
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47841: 'tarball' jobs on ci.guix.gnu.org install the wrong profile
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Cc: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 14:17:11 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey,

> Okay, thanks! By the way, what is that '68a11045'? If it's a Git commit,
> I can't figure out where it is.

Yeah, but it disappeared when I removed the wip branch. I pushed it on
master: 2ccb715ab3ebef5ddbc53d706cbc42b3b765d613.

I tried to install a CI produced tarball
(https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/213975/details) on a foreign distribution
VM with success.

Closing this one,

Thanks,

Mathieu

Subject: [release 1.2.1] could not install on foreign distro
From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 15:29:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix!

I tried using the latest tarball to install guix, by modifying the
current script. To do that, I downloaded the latest installation script
from savannah and modified it a bit:

In guix_get_bin, I removed the tar.xz extension and the download of the
signature. I also commented out the verification with gpg.

In main, I commented out the call to guix_get_bin_list and replace the
call to guix_get_bin with

guix_get_bin "https://ci.guix.gnu.org/download/" "114" "$tmp_path"

(114 being obtained by looking at the latest build of the tarball:
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/tarball).

After these changes, I was able to run:

sudo -i $HOME/guix-install.sh

which initially asked me to get the key, then managed to download the
tarball, but failed like so:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/
Press return to continue...
Starting installation (Sat Apr 17 08:59:36 AM EDT 2021)
[ PASS ] verification of required commands completed
[ INFO ] init system is: systemd
[ WARN ] We recommend installing and/or starting your distribution
'nscd' service
[ WARN ] Please read 'info guix "Application Setup"' about "Name
Service Switch"
[ INFO ] system is x86_64-linux
[ INFO ] Downloading Guix release archive 114
100%[===================>]  85.11M  4.27MB/s in 19s  
[ PASS ] download completed.
[ PASS ] unpacked archive
[ INFO ] Installing /var/guix and /gnu...
[ INFO ] Linking the root user's profile
/home/roptat/guix-install.sh: line 317:
/root/.config/guix/current/etc/profile: No such file or directory

Indeed, the tarball only has the following in var/guix:

/var/guix/
/var/guix/db/
/var/guix/db/db.sqlite
/var/guix/gcroots/
/var/guix/gcroots/profiles
/var/guix/profiles/
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile-1-link

whereas the release (1.2.0) tarball contains:

/var/guix/
/var/guix/db/
/var/guix/db/db.sqlite
/var/guix/gcroots/
/var/guix/gcroots/profiles
/var/guix/profiles/
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix-1-link

Note guix-profile <> current-guix

The manual still suggests to create a symlink to
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix and source the profile
from it.