Subject: Re: bug#4784: variable telnet-remote-echoes non-nil causes comint-previous-prompt to fail

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 17:28:09 +0100

[email-masked] writes:

> When running the telnet command, if variable telnet-remote-echoes is
> set,  then the command comint-previous-prompt deletes the field text
> property that the command comint-previous-prompt uses (assuming that
> variable comint-use-prompt-regexp is nil).  It also removes the
> mouse-highlighting and so mouse-2 cannot be used to re-insert that
> command.
>
> There is no need for variable telnet-remote-echoes because variable
> comint-process-echoes can be used to remove the second copy, and it does
> it without removing the text properties.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got no response at
the time.)

I tried `M-x telnet' with `telnet-remote-echoes' set (and the other
variables also have the values described), and everything looks normal
to me.

I'm not sure what problem this bug report describes -- I have no mouse
highlight in the *telnet* buffer, and I'm not sure what that has to do
with do with `C-c C-p' (`comint-previous-point').

This is with Emacs 28, though, so perhaps what's being described here
has been fixed in the 11 years since this was reported.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no