Subject: bug#47830: texlive-bin: perl utilities runtime failure

From: Domagoj Stolfa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 21:49:42 +0100

Hello:

I've been trying to use the texlive distribution from guix, but noticed 
a particular issue with a few of the texlive-bin utilities, namely 
latexindent and latex-git-log. There may be more that suffer this issue.

Following the discussion on IRC -- when texlive-bin gets installed, it 
is split up from texlive-texmf. This results in the perl utilities 
having the wrong @INC path, namely they end up with (using latexindent 
as an example):

/gnu/store/jr9czrjx7slnda355xfmbv6hkkdpl5qi-texlive-bin-20190410/share/texmf-dist/scripts/latexindent 

rather than the expected path containing their includes:

/gnu/store/cqfhb3hfvyxacn200n0jxkf3wq8328yq-texlive-texmf-20190410/share/texmf-dist/scripts/latexindent 

This results in a runtime error which looks a bit like "Can't locate 
LatexIndent/Document.pm in @INC (you may need to install the 
LatexIndent::Document module)". A simple fix for this would be to 
migrate texlive-scripts from texlive-bin to texlive-texmf (in tex.scm) 
or to perhaps merge texlive-bin and texlive-texmf. However, since I 
haven't done much with guix outside of just using it, I don't really 
know what the best approach would be. Perhaps it would make sense to 
discuss what the best approach would be here?

Thanks!

-- 

Domagoj