Subject: bug#47813: 28.0.50; Confusing new calling convention for define-minor-mode

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 06:26:53 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> That's why I introduced the warning and changed the arglist: I realized
> that even though I think the old convention is inconvenient and
> confusing, it seems that a lot of code (even brand new code) follows the
> old rather than the new convention, so we need to be more proactive to
> get people to abandon the old convention so we can at some point in the
> future accept code like the one above.

Ok.

My problem was: When compiling my init file (I have a lot of personal,
quite trivial, minor modes) I got 20 warnings, a whole bulk, then I did
what the warnings said and deleted all those nil's, and then everything
was broken.

It's now hard to find out how to get your code correct and warning free
at all.  Can we do something better to help people find the correct
solution?

Regards,

Michael.