Subject: Re: bug#47806: 28.0.50; `make-frame` frame should probably clone the `environment` parameter into the new frame

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 13:10:00 +0200

Thibault Polge <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Are you saying that make-frame-on-display works differently under
>> Wayland?
>
> AFAIK Emacs doesn't support Wayland yet (unless there's been work to
> that end with GTK3?).  To show X programs, Wayland environments rely on
> XWayland, an X server that runs as a Wayland program.  I this don't
> believe that `make-frame-on-display` does anything different on Wayland,
> but I suspect, to the contrary, that it's fully unaware that it's not on
> a "real" X server. Or, maybe more accurately, that it has no access to
> the underlying Wayland system, which I'm trying to reach.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

Reading this bug report, it's not quite clear what the actual problem is
here.  In any case, Emacs 29 has pure GTK support (for Wayland), so
perhaps this isn't an issue any more?

If this is still an issue, could you provide a code snippet to reproduce
the problem, starting from "emacs -Q"?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no