Subject: 27.1; GNU Elpa rsync service offline?

From: Jair Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 08:26:22 -0700

Greetings,

GNU ELPA used to provide rsync service at rsync://elpa.gnu.org/elpa/,
however there seems to be a problem since 2020-12-26 that rsync fails to
establish connection:

$ rsync --list-only rsync://elpa.gnu.org/elpa/
@ERROR: chroot failed
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at
main.c(1653) [Receiver=3.1.0]

Could you please check the status of rsync deamon?

The idea of providing rsync services seems from one admin at
elpa.emacs-china.org. He's not been active for a while, and I'm starting
to take over his position recently since many users has complained about
the mirror for GNU ELPA has been out of sync for a while.

Thank you!

Jair Wang.

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64--netbsd)
 of 2020-09-09 built on mx
System Description: NetBSD otaku 8.1 NetBSD 8.1 (GENERIC) #0: Fri May 31 08:43:59 UTC 2019  [email-masked]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC amd64

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --srcdir=/pkgsrc/editors/emacs27-nox11/work/emacs-27.1
 --localstatedir=/var --disable-autodepend --without-dbus --without-xml2
 --without-gnutls --without-rsvg --without-gconf --without-imagemagick
 --without-xaw3d --without-xft --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --without-ns --without-x --without-xpm --without-jpeg --without-tiff
 --without-gif --without-png --prefix=/usr/pkg --build=x86_64--netbsd
 --host=x86_64--netbsd --infodir=/usr/pkg/info --mandir=/usr/pkg/man
 --enable-option-checking=yes 'CFLAGS=-O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fno-optimize-strlen -I/usr/include' 'CPPFLAGS=-DTERMINFO
 -I/usr/include' 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib -Wl,-R/usr/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib''

Configured features:
SOUND NOTIFY KQUEUE ZLIB MODULES THREADS PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort regexp-opt mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache
epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail tool-bar rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search seq mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs
cl-lib term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads kqueue multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 47110 6468)
 (symbols 48 5978 1)
 (strings 32 15877 1452)
 (string-bytes 1 511645)
 (vectors 16 7331)
 (vector-slots 8 81635 7842)
 (floats 8 22 259)
 (intervals 56 198 0)
 (buffers 1000 12))

-- 
[email-masked]
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org