Subject: bug#47791: util-linux fails to build on the Hurd (some tests fail)

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 12:19:33 +0200

Hi Maxime,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Problem is, I was trying to create a VM with Hurd to my liking
> with "guix system etcetera", to do some Hurd hacking.
> (GNOME Boxes only accepts ISO's, no qcow2's)
> But this command fails.  Both when cross-compiling (meson doesn't
> support cross-builds yet), and when compiling ‘natively’ using
> the childhurd --- apparently util-linux is in the dependency tree.

What OS config did you try to cross-build?

It’s possible to cross-build minimal GNU/Hurd images, such as the one
used in the childhurd test in (gnu tests virtualization), or like the
gnu/system/examples/bare-hurd.tmpl example.

Cross-building GNU/Hurd images is probably the easiest way to get
started with GNU/Hurd hacking at this point.  I’m Cc’ing Janneke who has
more experience and maybe tips and tricks to share.  :-)

> Maybe the tests should be disabled on the Hurd on now, in order
> to be able to fix the underlying issues more easily?

Yes, we could disable util-linux tests for i586-gnu with a FIXME
pointing to this discussion, to help further progress.  I’ll do that if
there are no objections.

Thanks,
Ludo’.