Subject: bug#47790: 27.2; XDG_DATA_HOME evaluation in move-file-to-trash

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:12:29 +0100

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Is this a valid setting of an environment variable?
>
> Probably not in emacs with setenv, but in a .profile or .bash_profile,
> maybe,

In shell RC files, double quotes would expand any contained variables.

> at least according to
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/latest/ar01s03.html

That spec doesn't say anything about variable expansion in different
contexts.  IME when someone says "set FOO to $HOME/.foo" without any
further qualification they are implicitly referring to the expansion of
$HOME.

FWIW,

-- 
Basil