Subject: bug#47784: 27.2: ses-header-row [PATCH INCLUDED]

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 10:10:44 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 05 May 2021 22:46:35 +0300, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:

    >> Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 15:40:46 -0400
    >> From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
    >> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
    >> 
    >> > "C-x 4 a" will automatically produce a ChangeLog-formatted buffer,
    >> > from which you could copy the log message when you commit.
    >> 
    >> Is this some new and 'backward-incompatible' behavior?

    Eli> It's new, but not backward-incompatible, I think.  AFAIR it only
    Eli> happens when the buffer visits a versioned file.

>From NEWS.27:

    *** New command 'log-edit-generate-changelog-from-diff', bound to 'C-c C-w'.
    This generates ChangeLog entries from the VC fileset diff.

    *** Recording ChangeLog entries doesn't require an actual file.
    If a ChangeLog file doesn't exist, and if the new user option
    'add-log-dont-create-changelog-file' is non-nil (which is the
    default), commands such as 'C-x 4 a' will add log entries to a
    suitable named temporary buffer.  (An existing ChangeLog file will
    still be used if it exists.)  Set the user option to nil to get the
    previous behavior of always creating a buffer that visits a ChangeLog
    file.

If you use vc, then 'vc-checkin' will copy the log message from the
ChangeLog to the commit log edit buffer for you (and that I think itʼs
been doing for a long time).

Robert
--