Subject: bug#47783: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] libgccjit.so: error: error invoking gcc driver

From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 08:20:26 +0530

I am on macos and after launching Emacs, I get this libgccjit
error. Is this something that I can ignore for now?

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Warning (comp): libgccjit.so: error: error invoking gcc driver Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp):
/Users/pankaj/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-lib.el.gz:
Error: Internal native compiler error failed to compile Disable
showing Disable logging
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Further, there are lots of compiler warnings from different package, as
I use Emacs. That means the native compilation is definitely working
asynchronously. One observation here is that every time this happens the
CPU goes 99% for a short time.

I am not using ‘gcc’. I have yet to successfully build Emacs with
‘gcc-10’ on macos. I did this to build Emacs:

git clone ...
./autogen.sh
CC=/usr/bin/clang ./configure --with-native-compilation
make -j8 # I have 4 core, hyperthreading enabled system

Probably ‘clang’ and ‘libgccjit’ has a problem working together.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.3.0, NS appkit-2022.30 Version 11.2.3 (Build 20D91))
 of 2021-04-15 built on mb2.local
Repository revision: 686259e65aa7121683c0c65e45ce48adb08ddb58
Repository branch: feature/native-comp
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.2.3

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  hl-line-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  direnv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow flyspell ispell emacsbug gnus-html help-fns radix-tree url-cache
sort smiley gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml hl-line
disp-table nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnml nnfolder epa-file gnutls
network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
nntp gnus-cache .gnus diary-lib diary-loaddefs ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search ol-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m dired-aux
ebdb-message sendmail ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message rmc dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win flymake-proc flymake vc-git mhtml-mode
elec-pair display-line-numbers css-mode smie eww xdg url-queue shr
kinsoku svg xml puny mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils wid-edit mm-util mail-prsvr js
sgml-mode facemenu dom init savehist desktop frameset ob-plantuml ob-sql
ob-css ob-js ob-java ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ob-python python ob-R
modus-operandi-theme modus-themes ebdb-mua ebdb-com ebdb-format ebdb
mailabbrev eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe eieio-base pcase timezone
direnv diff-mode dash po-mode cider tramp-sh cider-debug cider-browse-ns
cider-mode cider-inspector cider-completion cider-profile cider-eval
compile text-property-search cider-repl-history pulse derived cider-repl
cider-resolve cider-test cider-overlays cider-stacktrace cider-doc
cider-browse-spec cider-clojuredocs cider-eldoc cider-client
cider-common etags fileloop xref project cider-connection cider-util
color cider-popup sesman-browser nrepl-client tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell parse-time iso8601
ls-lisp queue nrepl-dict cider-compat spinner parseedn parseclj-parser
parseclj-lex a sesman vc vc-dispatcher edmacro kmacro clojure-mode
lisp-mnt align imenu rust-mode thingatpt org-mime ox-org ox-odt rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-element avl-tree generator org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces
org-entities time-date org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs noutline outline which-key
advice delight hideshow tex crm texmathp finder-inf use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core server avoid
paren cus-start cus-load tex-site info early-init package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio
eieio-core eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars comp
comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode seq
byte-opt gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv iso-transl
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces
cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 863875 44320)
 (symbols 48 46941 1)
 (strings 32 213402 17021)
 (string-bytes 1 7034681)
 (vectors 16 85059)
 (vector-slots 8 1328330 122166)
 (floats 8 565 232)
 (intervals 56 2247 77)
 (buffers 992 50))

-- 
Regards,
Pankaj Jangid

GnuPG Fingerprint: 0B62 7424 3B26 A911 052A DDE6 7C95 6E6F F858 7689