Subject: bug#47780: [installer] Trying to install to DVD leads to crash

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 14:27:04 +0200

Hello Ludo,

> Possible improvements are:
>
>   1. gracefully handling this error;
>   2. filtering out read-only storage devices from the menu.
>
> Thoughts?

Thanks to David's help[1], I realized that the non-filtering of the
installation device was causing some of the (uuid->string #f) issues
users were experimenting.

With this commit: 154a4e046281c28e39b5016e965d3d937a2ea4a1, I improved
the install device detection by removing the device with the default
Guix System image ISO label.

Now this is fragile and won't work if the ISO label is modified like in
your use-case. I cannot find another reliable way to detect the
installation device in the "non-install-devices" procedure. Do you have
any better idea?

Thanks,

Mathieu

[1]: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44872