Subject: Re: bug#47748: Packages which cant be find/removed by guix remove

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 22:44:31 -0400

Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> writes:

> Second, your operating-system declaration apparently is running
> the avahi server. Since you didn't share it, I don't know if it comes
> from a service dependency or if it's declared explicitely,

The avahi service is included in '%desktop-services'.

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm?id=a758a8a3c20052c5f1228e1ec80068652bbc3849#n1267

I don't know off-hand what is the current recommended way to remove
unwanted services from convenience variables like '%desktop-services'.
I suppose something like this (untested) in place of
'%desktop-services':

__ (remove (lambda (svc)
____________ (eq? (service-kind svc) avahi-service-type))
__________ %desktop-services)

with at least the following modules included at the top of the file:

__ (use-modules (gnu services)
_______________ (gnu services avahi)
_______________ (srfi srfi-1))

My own longstanding (and questionable) approach has been to avoid using
'%desktop-services', and instead to inline its contents into my OS
config, minus the stuff I don't want.  However, if you choose to use
that method, it's probably a good idea to periodically check for changes
to '%desktop-services', and to integrate those changes into your own
config where appropriate.

        Mark