Subject: bug#47711: bug#48841: bug#47711: bug#48841: bug#47711: [PATCH VERSION 2] Add new `completion-filter-completions` API and deferred highlighting

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 10:39:53 +0000

On Thu, Nov 2, 2023 at 10:11 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:48:51 +0000
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>,
> >       Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> >
> > Stefan, Eli, would you like to chime in?
>
> Chime in on what aspect(s) of this discussion (or the patch)?

The patch condenses the results of the discussion of last week,
as resuscitated by Dmitry after a 2-year long hiatus.

After some rounds of benchmarking and discussion, Dmitry and I
think the latest version of the patch should be installed.

If you've not been following closely, the variables the patch
introduces have docstrings explaining the functionality added, as
do the commit messages to feature/completion-lazy-hilit.

In a nutshell it solves the performance problem of overly eager
completion highlighting with minimal changes to the completion API.
The original patch proposed by Daniel Mendler was also partly about
solving this problem, but with much more extensive changes.

NEWS entries -- and possibly manual entries -- are also needed, not
done yet.

João