Subject: bug#47711: bug#48841: bug#47711: [PATCH VERSION 2] Add new `completion-filter-completions` API and deferred highlighting

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 05:08:15 +0300

On 16.08.2021 21:25, João Távora wrote:
> I've made it faster, now very close to the string-propertizing approach,
> itself very close to the theoretical best (which is no copy, no
> highlight).  See the tip of the
> scratch/icomplete-lazy-highlight-no-string-props branch, which I had to
> rewrite (some Git flub-up).  All benchmarks after sig.

Thanks. I've read it now.

This implementation style (quick exfiltration via a dynamic var with 
some special-cased logic) reminds me of the recent changes to eldoc, 
really not my cup of tea.

At the very least, though, you have done the work of proving that the 
no-string-propertization approach can be just as fast. Thank you for that.

A hash table with :test 'eq is a good choice. I'd be happy to try to 
tweak it further, but it also seems that at this point we can transition 
to the discussion about what kind of implementation style we want, since 
the performance is proven to be more or less on par.

Though of course that should start with an alternative patch which adds 
icomplete support as well (either Daniel does it, or I'll give it a try).