Subject: bug#47705: [PATCH] EWW: Customize display of images

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 10:36:26 +0200

Ralph Schleicher <[email-masked]> writes:

> EWW already supports displaying web pages with ALT texts instead of
> images but this feature is not visible to the user.

Thanks; applied to Emacs 28.

> Additionally, images or ALT texts are always displayed on a line by
> itself.  This may waste a lot of vertical space, e.g. when displaying
> the Common Lisp HyperSpec.  The attached patch fixes these issues.

But not this bit.  The image display in shr should be improved, though.
The problem is that mixing large inline in text often makes the text
less easy to read, and this is particularly a problem in tables, where
shr chooses to not include images at all.

shr should instead include images in-line if they are "small" -- i.e.,
if they've got a height that's somewhat comparable to the line height,
but not otherwise.

This sounds like trivial thing to do, but it's not -- we don't know the
size of the images until we load them (usually), and shr doesn't to
re-flowing at all.

shr could do inline images if the images have known width/heights (and
the images are "small"), though.  Patches welcome.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no