Subject: bug#47705: [PATCH] EWW: Customize display of images

From: "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 23:08:07 +0100

On Tue, Apr 13 2021, Ralph Schleicher wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>
> I have thought about it again and maybe we should approach the topic
> from another side.  Images are inline elements and so, first of all,
> there is no reason why the renderer should insert line breaks at all.
> The decision whether an image shall be displayed as an inline element
> or as a block element is actually made by the creator of the web page.
> The renderer should only follow the instructions.  That means, if an
> image is intermixed with text, or if multiple images are placed on a
> single line, we should assume that there must be a reason and SHR
> shouldn't try to be too smart.
>
> After all, the user should be able to take the final decision.  Thus,
> I've added an eww-toggle-inline-images command.  I checked the result
> with, e.g. www.gnu.org, www.gnu.org/software/emacs, docs.gtk.org/gtk4,
> and www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Front -- it looks good.
>
> Maybe you reconsider adding the patch.  Thank you.

I just wanted to echo my approval of the thoughts above, based on my
experience reading pages with embedded mathematical formulae... those
are very common in math and physics blogs, and consist of many little
inline images, and the current eww ways make them look worse than, say,
emacs-w3m.  For a random example of what i mean, just take any page from
Terry Tao's blog: https://terrytao.wordpress.com/.

Cheers,
jao
-- 
In this age, the mere example of nonconformity, the mere refusal to bend
the knee to custom, is itself a service.
 -John Stuart Mill, philosopher and economist (1806-1873)