Subject: Re: bug#47705: [PATCH] EWW: Customize display of images

From: Ralph Schleicher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 19:36:15 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Additionally, images or ALT texts are always displayed on a line by
>> itself.  This may waste a lot of vertical space, e.g. when displaying
>> the Common Lisp HyperSpec.  The attached patch fixes these issues.
>
> But not this bit.
[...]
> shr should instead include images in-line if they are "small" -- i.e.,
> if they've got a height that's somewhat comparable to the line height,
> but not otherwise.
>
> This sounds like trivial thing to do, but it's not -- we don't know the
> size of the images until we load them (usually), and shr doesn't to
> re-flowing at all.
>
> shr could do inline images if the images have known width/heights (and
> the images are "small"), though.  Patches welcome.

I see your point.  Would it be acceptable if, as a first step, inlining
of images is combined with shr-inhibit-images non-nil?  Then we know
that the ALT texts fit into a line.

-- 
Ralph