Subject: bug#47699: [External] : bug#47699: [PATCH] Improve completion-list-mode-map

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 19:21:54 +0000

>> Are you sure that it's okay to rebind M-c in 
>> minibuffer-local-completion-map?  It's a good mnemonic for 
>> "completion", but it hides the capitalize-word binding, that users 
>> might possibly want to use there (I don't, it's only when thinking 
>> about this patch that I realized this).
>>
>> Another option would be M-g, which would not hide anything that is 
>> possibly useful in the minibuffer, and is still a mnemonic of "goto".
>
> FWIW, my voice says don't do any of this.  Just leave keymap 
> `completion-list-mode-map' alone.
>

Why?  Almost no keys are defined in completion-list-mode-map, so why would 
it not be okay to define a few of them?

>
> (Likewise, the minibuffer keymaps.)
>

Why?  And as I just said, if some object against M-c (as you just did), 
M-g is the other choice, its meanings in global-map can't be used in the 
minibuffer.

>
> As for a key to switch between the minibuffer and *Completions*, FWIW 
> Icicles uses `C-<insert>', by default.
>

C-<insert> doesn't exist on laptop keyboard, and can't be used in a 
terminal, so it isn't exactly a good candidate.