Subject: Re: bug#47685: Feature Request: Install fping by default

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 19:53:11 +0200

Hi!

bo0od writes:
> Its better to know when you configure guix network using manual
> installation if things went well or not, the easiest way to do 
> that is 
> ping x.org.

It might be the most common, but note that it's not a reliable 
way.

Plenty of people are confused that ping doesn't work in their VM 
with QEMU user networking, and think this means they can't access 
the Web to download packages.  So they don't even try even though 
it works fine.

> But fping package is not installed by default within guix
> iso, Hope to see it added by default.

I looked up ‘fping’ and it's an obscure ping variant.  It may be 
your favourite obscure variant ;-) but it's definitely not 
something that should be installed by default.

‘ping’ is provided by ‘inetutils’.  It's already part of 
%base-packages.  It is installed by default.  Below you talk about 
the installer ISO, but it already has ‘ping’ preinstalled, so I'm 
confused.

Kind regards,

T G-R