Subject: Re: bug#47677: [PATCH] condition-case success continuation

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 10:35:07 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 00:44:23 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> 
> Hold your horses!  That is not the way to look at a adding complexity
> to a basic Lisp construct.
> 
> Every additional feature added to a fundamental construct increases
> the complexity of the Lisp language.  That always has various kinds of
> cost whether it is used or not.  Since this added feature would rarely
> be of use, it would have cost and no benefit.

FTR: I agree with you.  However, sadly this seems to be a minority
opinion in the current Emacs development: features are added to Emacs
Lisp left, right and center without any serious consideration of the
of the costs and benefits balance.  The pressure to add features to
Emacs Lisp is enormous.  It sometimes seems to me that some people
regard developing and extending Emacs Lisp to be the most important
aspects of the Emacs development.