Subject: [bug#47670] [PATCH 0/2] Add updater for packages hosted as SourceHut Git repositories

From: Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 14:48:00 +0200

On Fri, Apr 09 2021, Xinglu Chen wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 09 2021, Léo Le Bouter via Guix-patches via wrote:
>
>> Is that an autogenerated tarball? I am under the impression that usage
>> of those is banned in GNU Guix, and that there's a lint pass for it.
>> What do you use these autogenerated tarballs for? Is the 'ls-remote'
>> command not enough to replace the version and hash?
>
> The GitHub updater fetches the autogenerated tarball so that's what I
> did as well.  I wasn't aware about the fact that we would like to avoid
> them.
>
>> GNU Guix uses shallow clones (AIUI) to save bandwidth, do you need
>> this to generate the hash? I encourage you use the same shallow clone
>> mechanism here, so it's more generic and not specific to Sourcehut.
>
> Ok, I will use shallow clones to make it more generic.

Umm, the 'upstream-source-compiler' uses 'url-fetch' to fetch the url, I
guess we would have to make it support Git repositories first.