Subject: Re: [bug#47670] [PATCH 0/2] Add updater for packages hosted as SourceHut Git repositories

From: Léo Le Bouter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 14:04:48 +0200

On Fri, 2021-04-09 at 13:58 +0200, Xinglu Chen wrote:
> All the forges have different URL schemes so they would have to be
> hardcoded somehow, e.g. SourceHut uses
> https://git.sr.ht/~user/repo/archive/TAG.tar.gz, Gitea probably uses
> something else, etc..  Maybe we could just clone the repo, but that
> would use more bandwidth, and it could get pretty slow for big
> repositories.
> 

Is that an autogenerated tarball? I am under the impression that usage
of those is banned in GNU Guix, and that there's a lint pass for it.
What do you use these autogenerated tarballs for? Is the 'ls-remote'
command not enough to replace the version and hash? GNU Guix uses
shallow clones (AIUI) to save bandwidth, do you need this to generate
the hash? I encourage you use the same shallow clone mechanism here, so
it's more generic and not specific to Sourcehut.

> Adding a property for the tag prefix and suffix, and a version
> separator
> would be a good idea.  Right now it only supports "v" as a prefix and
> "_", ".", and "-" as separators.

What do you think about that last idea of matching versions in tags
with ANY separator and ANY suffix and prefix? That should work fine,
right? I can't think of a case where it wouldnt, but please do share
one if you do.

Thanks!!
Léo