Subject: Re: [bug#47670] [PATCH 0/2] Add updater for packages hosted as SourceHut Git repositories

From: Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 13:58:18 +0200

On Fri, Apr 09 2021, Léo Le Bouter via Guix-patches via wrote:

> Thanks a lot for working on this!!

You are welcome. :)

> I have a question, why do you name it specific to Sourcehut? It could
> also work for Github, Gitlab, Gitea or Gogs etc., e.g.

All the forges have different URL schemes so they would have to be
hardcoded somehow, e.g. SourceHut uses
https://git.sr.ht/~user/repo/archive/TAG.tar.gz, Gitea probably uses
something else, etc..  Maybe we could just clone the repo, but that
would use more bandwidth, and it could get pretty slow for big
repositories.

> Also I suggest adding a property to somehow specify what the version
> number format could be in tags, and also handling cases where format
> changes from version to version because upstream has not been
> consistent with naming. You can see for Hyperkitty they don't have the
> 'v' anymore starting 1.3.1, but I also have examples where version is
> separated by '_' and not '.', some times with prefix like:
> 'release_4_2_1', it would be nice to be able to specify those formats
> with e.g. regex and somehow also be able to handle inconsistency in
> upstream naming, maybe some heuristic to generically match version
> numbers separated by ANY character with any prefix or suffix?

Adding a property for the tag prefix and suffix, and a version separator
would be a good idea.  Right now it only supports "v" as a prefix and
"_", ".", and "-" as separators.

> Thank you!! :-D

Thank you for the feedback!