Subject: Re: bug#47662: Replace/Remove UUID request in config.scm

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 11:03:48 +0200

Hi,

bo0od <[email-masked]> skribis:

> When someone taking the manual-cli installation of GuixOS, And
> reaching where he will fill the config.scm, Parts of it really
> annoying to fill like UUID. If possible change it to the partition
> name only like sda1,xvda1..etc and let guix take the needed uuid from
> there (or any other method possible).

When installing Guix System manually, you are free to choose how to
refer to devices: by their /dev name (not recommended), by UUID, or by
file system label.

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/File-Systems.html#index-file_002dsystem

The graphical installer is meant to simplify the initial configuration:
you do the initial installation with it, and from there you can tweak
the generated config—easier than starting from a blank page.

I’m closing this bug because I don’t see anything more we could do.

Thanks,
Ludo’.