Subject: bug#47637: 28.0.50; getaddrinfo error 11003 (Windows 10)

From: "Peder O. Klingenberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 13:24:38 +0200

On an emacs compiled from the master branch today (commit
c1173f231d46f14f71886fa343dbc7501f064919) I can no longer connect to
elpa (or melpa).  I get "elpa.gnu.org/443 getaddrinfo error 11003".  I
haven't tried any other network access, but I would not be surprised if
it was a general problem with network access.

To reproduce from emacs -Q:
M-x toggle-debug-on-error
M-x package-install RET csv-mode RET

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "elpa.gnu.org/443 getaddrinfo error 11003")
  signal(error ("elpa.gnu.org/443 getaddrinfo error 11003"))
  package--with-response-buffer-1("https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/" #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x87849461b1db4cc>) :file "csv-mode-1.15.tar" :async nil :error-function #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x1e0000153e91>) :noerror nil)
  package-install-from-archive(#s(package-desc :name csv-mode :version (1 15) :summary "Major mode for editing comma/char separated values" :reqs ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) :kind tar :archive "gnu" :dir nil :extras ((:maintainer nil . "[email-masked]") (:authors ("\"Francis J. Wright\"" . "[email-masked]")) (:keywords "convenience") (:url . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/csv-mode.html")) :signed nil))
  mapc(package-install-from-archive (#s(package-desc :name csv-mode :version (1 15) :summary "Major mode for editing comma/char separated values" :reqs ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) :kind tar :archive "gnu" :dir nil :extras ((:maintainer nil . "[email-masked]") (:authors ("\"Francis J. Wright\"" . "[email-masked]")) (:keywords "convenience") (:url . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/csv-mode.html")) :signed nil)))
  package-download-transaction((#s(package-desc :name csv-mode :version (1 15) :summary "Major mode for editing comma/char separated values" :reqs ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) :kind tar :archive "gnu" :dir nil :extras ((:maintainer nil . "[email-masked]") (:authors ("\"Francis J. Wright\"" . "[email-masked]")) (:keywords "convenience") (:url . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/csv-mode.html")) :signed nil)))
  package-install(csv-mode nil)
  funcall-interactively(package-install csv-mode nil)
  call-interactively(package-install record nil)
  command-execute(package-install record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "package-install" nil)
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "package-install" nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

The actual package does not matter, I get the same failure with a
random selection of both elpa and melpa packages.

This was (is) not the case in my previous build, from 2020-10-26
(commit: e7009a6dc2643125036154313924fd72c3d9847a).  In that build, I
could (and have) just upgraded all my packages without issue.

I am on a corporate network, with SSL traffic MITM-ed in a proxy, which
means that in Emacs, I usually get prompted to accept a certificate,
because Emacs doesn't recognize our corporate CA certificate.  In this
latest build, I don't get prompted, I immediately end up in the
backtrace above.

Compiling Emacs in this environment is something I do very rarely,
because it takes around an hour (with anti-malware things eating most of
the CPU time).  So I have made no effort (yet) to bisect.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2021-04-07 built on W-OSL-00864
Repository revision: c1173f231d46f14f71886fa343dbc7501f064919
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.18363
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise (v10.0.1909.18363.1441)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/c/Emacs/Emacs-git --without-dbus
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/mingw64/lib/pkgconfig:/mingw64/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XPM
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail mail-utils cl-extra help-fns radix-tree
cl-print debug backtrace help-mode find-func gnutls network-stream
url-http mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny url-cache url-auth cus-edit pp cus-start
cus-load wid-edit finder-inf package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win
w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 106434 5731)
 (symbols 48 10223 1)
 (strings 32 33896 1072)
 (string-bytes 1 976006)
 (vectors 16 18268)
 (vector-slots 8 225031 14952)
 (floats 8 41 327)
 (intervals 56 881 0)
 (buffers 992 12))