Subject: Re: bug#47637: 28.0.50; getaddrinfo error 11003 (Windows 10)

From: "Peder O. Klingenberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 19:44:34 +0200

On on., 2021-04-14 kl. 10.04 +0200 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> That's really odd, though -- doing a "make install" shouldn't affect
> things like that.

I agree, but Windows never ceases to disappoint.

I didn't pay attention to the output of `make install`, maybe it does
some magic relinking or something?  All I know is I got tired of
bisection never giving me a good build, so just for "fun" I rebuilt from
my known good build, and it failed.  Then I moved away the old install
directory, did make install, and it worked.  So I built from a fresh
master again, and again it failed from the build dir, but I installed it
anyway, and the problem was gone.

I don't really have time to dig deeper into it.

> However, you did mention running some anti-malware software on the
> system -- is it possible that that's stopping network connections from
> src/emacs, but not when it's installed?

It's not outside the realm of possibilities, I guess, see my first
sentence above.  But it would be the first time I have encountered that
particular problem.  I create software from scratch on this machine,
that is certainly just as unknown to the anti-malware stuff as Emacs,
and none of my programs have ever had trouble connecting to outside
network stuff.

(I do in part blame the anti-malware for the compilation being almost
unbearably slow.  Along with Windows itself.  Opening and closing files
and spawning processes are such rare things to demand of an OS, let's
aggressively pessimise those use cases!)

...Peder...
-- 
Sløv uten dop