Subject: Re: bug#47633: Provide direct download to .iso

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 14:50:58 -0400

On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 05:31:57AM +0000, bo0od wrote:
> I see that guix compress its image here:
> 
> https://guix.gnu.org/en/download/
> 
> Which im not sure why (I dont see any known project doing that),

The reason is to save bandwidth.

> But regardless to the reason behind it this is actually give some
> problems to users who want to use Guix on outside server, Many host
> providers nowadays they give the opportunity to install whatever the
> user want from distros according to his wish from outside source but
> one thing needed for that is the URL to the .iso , And the host gonna
> download/run/import the .iso for the user.

I have two suggestions:

1) Host the uncompressed ISO yourself and send that link to your host
provider

2) Ask the host provider to download and uncompress the ISO on their
own. They should be able to do this because they will have to store the
ISO file on their servers anyways.