Subject: bug#47633: closed (Re: bug#47633: Provide direct download to .iso)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 19:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#47633: Provide direct download to .iso

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47633: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47633
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47633: Provide direct download to .iso
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: bo0od <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 15:38:05 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I'm happy to say this will be resolved with the soon-to-be-released
v1.3.0 release; see commit 82c0f34c7e (maint: Do not xz-compress ISO
images).

Closing!

Maxim

Subject: Provide direct download to .iso
From: bo0od <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 05:31:57 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi There,

I see that guix compress its image here:

https://guix.gnu.org/en/download/

Which im not sure why (I dont see any known project doing that), But 
regardless to the reason behind it this is actually give some problems 
to users who want to use Guix on outside server, Many host providers 
nowadays they give the opportunity to install whatever the user want 
from distros according to his wish from outside source but one thing 
needed for that is the URL to the .iso , And the host gonna 
download/run/import the .iso for the user.

This is cant be achieved because there is no direct URL to the .iso, And 
it causes some problems as well check #47632

ThX!