Subject: bug#47631: Add graphical installation and solve tons of headache

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 11:09:33 +0200

Hi,

bo0od <[email-masked]> skribis:

> According to my communications on IRC i see that guix doesnt want to
> have an offline installation, Which mean it need internet connection 
> available at the installation process.

More specifically, we cannot guarantee that an off-line installation
would work because it depends on the software and services you’ll
choose.

> This is fine except when user having either static-ip or using VM
> which doesnt give readable network interface to the distro inside it
> (falling into same category of static-ip).
>
> solving/giving:
>
> - Adding static IP and so as manually installing is not well
>   documented and need knowledge and skills (very faraway to be handled
>  by new users)check #47630

Right, this one’s already filed.

> - Easiness of modifying things e.g instead of using tens of commands
>   it will be replaced with couple of clicks and for surely less typing 
> (compare gparted vs parted steps or network-manager vs ip commands and
> so on). You can checkout many distros whos giving this opportunity
> like nixos, trisquel/triskel, mint...etc

Did you try the graphical installation?

  https://guix.gnu.org/en/videos/system-graphical-installer/

It’s key strokes rather than clicks, but I think it addresses most of
the issues you describe.

> - Give trial usage of the distro for the user before installing it

Did you try the live VM image?

  https://guix.gnu.org/en/download/

I’m closing because I don’t see anything actionable.  Please file issues
focused on specific problems.

Thanks,
Ludo’.