Subject: bug#47631: Add graphical installation and solve tons of headache

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 16:30:41 +0200

Hi,

bo0od <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Did you try the graphical installation?
>>
>>    https://guix.gnu.org/en/videos/system-graphical-installer/
>>
>> It’s key strokes rather than clicks, but I think it addresses most of
>> the issues you describe.
>
> Yes i do know this, But whats different between what guix is doing and
> others are doing (examples i gave above), They give you access to GUI
> of their distro without internet and from within this live GUI access
> to the distro you can configure the internet/partition..etc (easily 
> specially for first time users) using GUI tools without internet (you
> can even test the distro without the need to install it)

Letting users use GUI (or non-GUI) tools by themselves doesn’t look
appealing to me.  We made the choice to provide a guided installer,
similar to that of Debian and other distros, such that users don’t have
to figure out by themselves that they need to run gparted, follow steps,
etc.

> Thats what im requesting not what is currently happening.
>
>> Did you try the live VM image?
>>
>>    https://guix.gnu.org/en/download/
>
> What? where?

Search for “QEMU”.

>> I’m closing because I don’t see anything actionable.  Please file issues
>> focused on specific problems.
>
> Guix need to improve itself when first time initiated, Please check
> other projects like NixOS,Triskel,Mint,Ubuntu...etc

I contributed to NixOS long ago, and unless things have changed, it
doesn’t have a guided installer.

> If you dont like that live graphical gui access, then do it as debian
> is doing it which give you proper gui screen specifically intended to 
> configure your internet then you can proceed with the installation.

So I guess your primary request is about giving access to the GUIs.
That comes at a cost (the ISO is already quite big) but that’s something
we could consider.

For now, our focus is on improving the guided installer itself.

Thanks,
Ludo’.