Subject: bug#47630: Improve guix manual installation docs

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:41:36 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Sept 2021 at 16:51, bo0od <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Fix the documentation as steps works for the end user as if he follow it
> 1 by 1 copy/paste (similar to nix docs as example), Otherwise current
> steps in the docs just junk to the end user. (you dont expect users to
> know and finish steps themselves)

I proposed you to write down these steps as a starting point for
improving the manual to turn it into a patch (for the Manual or the
Cookbook); this is actionable.  Otherwise say « improve this part of
the manual » is not constructive; this is not actionable.  I (and
probably others) do not see what could be improved in this area so it
appears to me hard to improve something that I do not know what. :-)

Last, the manual says:

        This option requires familiarity with GNU/Linux, with the shell,
        and with common administration tools. If you think this is not
        for you, consider using the guided graphical installer.

<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Manual-Installation.html>

Therefore, it appears to me expected that this section provides only
command hints and not one by one step to complete all the process.
Other said, I expect that user who does not know how to fully complete
will run the Graphical Installer.  Does Nix have a Graphical
Installer?

All the best,
simon