Subject: bug#47628: closed (Re: bug#47628: webkitgtk-2.32.0 fails to launch without /usr/bin)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 02:48:02 +0000

Your bug report

#47628: webkitgtk-2.32.0 fails to launch without /usr/bin

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47628: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47628
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47628: webkitgtk-2.32.0 fails to launch without /usr/bin
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Cc: Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 22:47:10 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Mark,

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Efraim,
>
> Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 11:07:31AM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>>> I suspect that the relevant bit that needs to be changed is line 779 of
>>> the following file in the webkitgtk-2.32.0 source code:
>>> 
>>>   Source/WebKit/UIProcess/Launcher/glib/BubblewrapLauncher.cpp
>>> 
>>> Most likely, that line can simply be deleted.  Here's the relevant
>>> excerpt, with line 779 marked by "==>":
>>
>> Looking at the other lines above it, we could just change it from
>> ro-bind to ro-bind-try.
>
> I expect that would work, but why should we give the sandbox access to
> /usr/bin at all?  I took a different approach: I removed access to *all*
> of the FHS directories, since they should not be needed for a
> Guix-compiled package.
>
> Below, I've attached the patch that I'm currently using successfully on
> my private branch of Guix.
>
> What do you think?

Our webkitgtk package is patched in such a way (and more) since commit
b9a4705f80e89fff3b65288cbbe8df73a365aee3.

Thanks, 

Maxim

Subject: Epiphany fails to launch after webkitgtk-2.32.0 update
From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 18:46:14 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

FYI, since updating to webkitgtk-2.32.0 (commit
3c5e1412e3ef769df8e4826d0aedabaa3aa0d631), epiphany fails to launch: no
window appears, although GNOME Shell shows an empty outline in overview
mode, as if there's a window but it has never been painted.

When running 'epiphany' from the command line, I see the followin
warning from 'bwrap', which indicates that it's looking in /usr/bin:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
mhw@jojen ~$ epiphany

** (epiphany:1016): WARNING **: 18:36:48.495: Registering special URI scheme ftp is no longer allowed
bwrap: Can't find source path /usr/bin: No such file or directory
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I wonder if this only works when Guix is run on top of a more
traditional OS that has /usr/bin.

Is anyone successfully able to use Epiphany on a pure Guix system
(without /usr/bin) with Webkitgtk-2.32.0?  (The Webkitgtk version is
shown in the "About Web" window, which is accessible from the hamburger
menu.

      Mark