Subject: bug#47627: closed (Re: bug#47627: syncthing package is vulnerable to CVE-2021-21404)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 01:56:01 +0000

Your bug report

#47627: syncthing package is vulnerable to CVE-2021-21404

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47627: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47627
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47627: syncthing package is vulnerable to CVE-2021-21404
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: Léo Le Bouter <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 21:54:55 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 02:27:51AM +0200, Léo Le Bouter wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-04-08 at 20:01 -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 06:51:47PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> > > Yeah. Given this report, we could also just build Syncthing with
> > > the
> > > bundled source code, which is freely licensed.
> > 
> > I've attached the patch.
> 
> I tested this patch on my system, works great with the syncthing
> service also. LGTM from me.

Thanks for the review. Pushed as
ed3ef756f521a0df8596a88b66f65b7a1ad99252

Subject: syncthing package is vulnerable to CVE-2021-21404
From: Léo Le Bouter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 00:40:03 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

CVE-2021-21404	06.04.21 22:15
Syncthing is a continuous file synchronization program. In Syncthing
before version 1.15.0, the relay server `strelaysrv` can be caused to
crash and exit by sending a relay message with a negative length field.
Similarly, Syncthing itself can crash for the same reason if given a
malformed message from a malicious relay server when attempting to join
the relay. Relay joins are essentially random (from a subset of low
latency relays) and Syncthing will by default restart when crashing, at
which point it's likely to pick another non-malicious relay. This flaw
is fixed in version 1.15.0.

We still ship 1.5.0, we crucially need to update that *very* useful
networked daemon package. With the new go importer maybe that's easier.
Also work in the go build system needs to happen IIRC.

Previous discussion about updating syncthing: 
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/45476

Léo