Subject: Re: bug#47615: [PATCH 0/9] Add 32-bit powerpc support

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 16:09:29 +0200

Hi,

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:24:03PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> Maybe it’s more readable to keep it as a bullet list, like:
>> 
>>   @item mips64el-linux (@emph{unsupported})
>>   …
>> 
>>   @item powerpc-linux (@emph{unsupported})
>>   …
>> 
>> with a sentence explaining what “unsupported” means.
>
> That was kind-of my idea with grouping them together

Yes, but people who just skim through that page may just see that
‘powerpc-linux’ is listed, without noticing that there’s a sentence ten
line above that says “The following arches are not supported”.  Having
“unsupported” next to it should avoid that (yes, I’ve learned to be
super cautious.  :-)).

>> IMO guix.m4 should either require --with-courage or emit a prominent
>> warning for these.

[...]

> The problem then becomes whoever tinkers with it will have to keep
> either a custom guix.m4 for their guix package or a custom guix package
> with "--with-courage" as a configure-flag.

True.  In that case, let it go without ‘--with-courage’ but emit a
warning with AC_MSG_WARN that points to the relevant section of the
manual.

Deal?

Thanks!

Ludo’.