Subject: Re: bug#47610: gnome-keyring service doesn't appear

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2025 21:15:56 +0900

Hi,

Leo Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am Mittwoch, den 21.04.2021, 02:35 -0500 schrieb bdju:
>> On Wed Apr 21, 2021 at 2:30 AM CDT, Leo Prikler wrote:
>> > That's quite an interesting observation. Could you tell me what DM
>> > (gdm, sddm, sway) you're using?
> 👆 idiot thinking sway is a DM and not a WM.
>> > 
>> > The gnome-keyring PAM service works by adding an auto_start login
>> > entry, that refers to gnome-keyring's
>> > /lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so. I don't think you need GNOME
>> > keyring installed for that to run, but the default configuration
>> > assumes you're running GDM. You will need to adjust it if you use
>> > something else.
>> > 
>> > Regards,
>> > Leo
>> I'm using sway, I launch it with `exec sway` from a tty.
> Since you manually exec sway, you can either configure gnome-keyring-
> service, so that it always runs on login (be aware, that I haven't
> checked that configuration and it might lock you out forever, so use
> rollbacks if that happens), or try to start the keyring manually or
> from sway.

gnome-keyring nowadays should be started at boot automatically for GNOME
users, since commit 43c4d16ad9e.  Other environmentbswill need to follow
a manual setup as outlined in (info "(guix) Desktop Services"),
adjusting the pam-services value.

If you could figure it out, perhaps something that would be useful is to
have an example for non-GDM systems added to the manual.  Until then,
I'll close this issue as it should be solvable through configuration.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim