Subject: 28.0.50; tramp-sh-handle-file-newer-than-file-p works on MacOS but not on Linux

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 09:47:41 -0400

I get this error on Linux but not on MacOS:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Files /home/sds/.emacs.d/notes and /scp:fence:/home/s/sds/.emacs.d/notes must have same method, user, host")
  signal(file-error ("Files /home/sds/.emacs.d/notes and /scp:fence:/hom..."))
  tramp-sh-handle-file-newer-than-file-p("/home/sds/.emacs.d/notes" "/scp:fence:/home/s/sds/.emacs.d/notes")
  apply(tramp-sh-handle-file-newer-than-file-p ("/home/sds/.emacs.d/notes" "/scp:fence:/home/s/sds/.emacs.d/notes"))
  tramp-sh-file-name-handler(file-newer-than-file-p "/home/sds/.emacs.d/notes" "/scp:fence:/home/s/sds/.emacs.d/notes")
  apply(tramp-sh-file-name-handler file-newer-than-file-p ("/home/sds/.emacs.d/notes" "/scp:fence:/home/s/sds/.emacs.d/notes"))
  tramp-file-name-handler(file-newer-than-file-p "/home/sds/.emacs.d/notes" "/scp:fence:/home/s/sds/.emacs.d/notes")
  file-newer-than-file-p("~/.emacs.d/notes" "/scp:fence:~/.emacs.d/notes")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.23, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-04-02 built on sdsGazPro
Repository revision: a9645338e4109570ec64c902526d028c75e4369f
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12009000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.10

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk3'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: C
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 flyspell ispell mail-extr
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr
kinsoku svg dom browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail bug-reference tramp-cmds cal-move cal-x view
mule-util cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam holidays hol-loaddefs bbdb-anniv
cal-iso cal-hebrew lunar cal-julian solar cal-dst appt diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs dabbrev skeleton tabify
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-clang
company-template company-cmake company-bbdb yasnippet-snippets yasnippet
flymake-proc flymake warnings thingatpt company-capf company pcase elpy
edmacro kmacro elpy-rpc pyvenv eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc
esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util elpy-shell elpy-profile
elpy-django s elpy-refactor ido grep compile etags fileloop generator
xref project cus-edit pp python vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir ewoc vc tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp format-spec
help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace find-func misearch
multi-isearch add-log remember cl-extra help-mode vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode vc-dispatcher dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs midnight gnus
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site timezone edit-server
advice server winner ring which-func imenu url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv url-vars paren help-at-pt desktop frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib
cus-start cus-load info iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 370977 17635)
 (symbols 48 25260 4)
 (strings 32 199589 7925)
 (string-bytes 1 5181015)
 (vectors 16 76129)
 (vector-slots 8 1724569 26443)
 (floats 8 786 634)
 (intervals 56 5557 0)
 (buffers 992 30))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 20.10 (groovy) X 11.0.12009000
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
https://honestreporting.com https://mideasttruth.com
Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward.