Subject: bug#47599: closed (Re: bug#47599: 28.0.50; Feature request improve/update isearch)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 19:23:02 +0000

Your bug report

#47599: 28.0.50; Feature request improve/update isearch

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47599: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47599
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47599: 28.0.50; Feature request improve/update isearch
From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
To: Ergus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 22:16:24 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Just to follow this:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-04/msg00080.html
>
> I open a feature request to suggest some updates in the isearch code and
> the addition of some simple functionalities like:
>
> 1) Option or command to automatically go to the other end on exit.

It seems the conclusion was that it should not be an option.
As for a command, there were objections against binding it to a key,
but without a keybinding such command has little sense.

> 2) Convert isearch-wrap-function,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Customization of wrapping was implemented now
by the new option 'isearch-wrap-pause'.  It also handles numeric arguments
of 'isearch-repeat'.

> isearch-push-state-function,
> isearch-filter-predicate into customs instead of use defvar, improve a
> bit their documentation and provide some handy options.

These functions are intended to be modified by modes, not by users.

> 3) Make some general refactor of isearch code to simplify and remove
> some redundant or useless checks, vars and code. Update the code to use
> some useful modern api like define-minor-mode or easy-mmode-defmap. There
> are some external packages that reimplement the isearch
> functionalities or hack it to produce some of these
> functionalities/behavior and maybe (as an extra) we could consider add
> some customs to make isearch behave like a bit like that; because most
> of them are not very different to what isearch already does now.

Rewriting isearch is a huge and unnecessary task.

More patches were posted directly to emacs-devel now,
so more changes are expected from that discussion.

Subject: 28.0.50; Feature request improve/update isearch
From: Ergus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 04:07:25 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi:

Just to follow this:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-04/msg00080.html

I open a feature request to suggest some updates in the isearch code and
the addition of some simple functionalities like:

1) Option or command to automatically go to the other end on exit.

2) Convert isearch-wrap-function, isearch-push-state-function,
isearch-filter-predicate into customs instead of use defvar, improve a
bit their documentation and provide some handy options.

3) Make some general refactor of isearch code to simplify and remove
some redundant or useless checks, vars and code. Update the code to use
some useful modern api like define-minor-mode or easy-mmode-defmap. 

There are some external packages that reimplement the isearch
functionalities or hack it to produce some of these
functionalities/behavior and maybe (as an extra) we could consider add
some customs to make isearch behave like a bit like that; because most
of them are not very different to what isearch already does now.

Example: https://github.com/raxod502/ctrlf 

Some of the differences where mentioned already here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-04/msg00108.html