Subject: Re: bug#47599: 28.0.50; Feature request improve/update isearch

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 11:33:53 +0000

>> And here is an updated patch which adds three options to isearch-exit: 
>> C-u RET moves point to the other end, C-u C-u RET activates region 
>> around match, C-u C-u C-u RET moves point to the other end and activate 
>> region around match.
>
> Hi Gregory:
>
> Maybe I am wrong but I think it makes no sense to add C-u RET for this; 
> because it is not better than C-r RET. Same applies to the other two 
> commands.
>

I have no strong opinion, I proposed this patch because of your request. 
But C-u RET is better I think, it's a single command instead of two (C-r 
RET and C-s RET).  For the two other commands, I don't know an easy way to 
mark the match.

>
> I am only interested in the first one really;
>

Yes, I was proposing something more general, with what I understood from 
the discussion.

>
> But IMO the C-u C-u C-u is not the way we should go..
>

I think it's easy to type, much easier than M-s RET for example, but as I 
sait I have no strong opinion on this, it's fine if my patch isn't 
applied.