Subject: Re: bug#47599: 28.0.50; Feature request improve/update isearch

From: Ergus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 13:20:50 +0200

On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 10:44:23AM +0000, Gregory Heytings wrote:
>
>>>>1) Option or command to automatically go to the other end on exit.
>>>
>>>It seems the conclusion was that it should not be an option. As 
>>>for a command, there were objections against binding it to a key, 
>>>but without a keybinding such command has little sense.
>>
>>I attach a patch which implements these two "options" in isearch-exit.
>>
>
>And here is an updated patch which adds three options to isearch-exit: 
>C-u RET moves point to the other end, C-u C-u RET activates region 
>around match, C-u C-u C-u RET moves point to the other end and 
>activate region around match.

Hi Gregory:

Maybe I am wrong but I think it makes no sense to add C-u RET for this;
because it is not better than C-r RET. Same applies to the other two
commands.

I am only interested in the first one really; and for that case I would
prefer something shorter like M-RET and for the others maybe C-M-@ (just
to mention random examples that are shorter, free or "similar" somehow
to what happens outside isearch). We can consider things like M-s RET;
M-@ and so on too... But IMO the C-u C-u C-u is not the way we should
go..

Does it makes sense?

Ergus?